If you are an anxiety/panic sufferer you always feel the dread of panic attacks in different flavors.
Am I right?
You are bewildered by the situation you are in and the constant nagging question you have is what to do when you have a panic attack in order to control it.
What is it that will help me in getting over panic attacks?
You want to convey and explain what you feel and endure but only some of the doctors understand what panic attacks are.
There is always a burning question that how to get rid of it and it is world’s greatest puzzle for you.
It “feels deadly but it is not” is the greatest paradox for you. Right?
For that here is the 5-step panic diffusion trick that will answer your most daunting question: What To Do When You Have Anxiety and Panic Attacks? and most importantly, “How to cope with panic attacks and anxiety?”
1. Understand what is happening to you in Panic Attacks
If you always wonder what to do when you have a panic attack, the first and the very important step is to know what’s happening to you. Question yourself what’s actually happening when you experience the discomforting symptoms. This is the most crucial thing to overcome anxiety attacks. It is a common tendency in this state to interpret what you are feeling in panic attacks and just dwell on it.
Question yourself what’s actually happening. It is a common tendency in this state to interpret what you are feeling in Panic attacks and just dwell on it.
Consequently, you believe it is definitely going to harm you but actually, it cannot and it never does.
Learn the scientific things about anxiety and panic attacks.
Consider the following points:
- Anxiety is body’s alarm system in the presence of danger which helps us to cope with it or dodge it quickly.
- Panic attacks are over exaggerated anxiety response in the presence of mental stress or difficult situations.
- Panic disorder is a repeated over exaggerated anxiety response which is due to the learned habit of misinterpreting anxiety and its symptoms as dangerous. It is a typical preconscious“fear of fear” that is “Anxiety of Anxiety” which is fueled by intrusive thoughts.
The intrusive thoughts lead you towards more anxiety and more panic.
You need to learn to break the Panic cycle:
2. Learn to make the difference between what you feel and the reality
In anxiety and panic disorder the feelings you get are always overwhelming, right?
That’s why you say getting over panic attacks is difficult.
You cannot help it. You try to ask others that what to do when you have a panic attack or why do you feel so, none of them knows about it.
You fall prey to the thinking patterns which these feelings bring up. The problem is that you cannot make the difference between “how it feels” and “the reality of that thing”, nor others can do that.
Consider the following points:
- These feelings are basically sensations. These sensations arise due to the inappropriate arousal of body’s defense mechanisms.
- These are purely sensations but one misinterprets them at the pre-conscious or unconscious level.
- For example, lightheadedness and fainting like feeling occur due to hyperventilation and a slight reduction of blood flow to the brain (which is normal), but you feel you have a tumor on the brain and you believe it without any evidence!
No doubt brain tumors can cause lightheadedness or fainting.
Then does it mean that all of the millions of people who faint each day have brain tumors?
You probably got the answer………………
4.The Same analyses have to be done for chest pains, trembling, heart palpitations etc.
Now that you know the basics about the causes of panic attacks you can learn to break the Panic Cycle and reduce your distress.
3. Learn to give up the embarrassment and shyness about your anxiety
When you ask – How to cope with panic attacks and anxiety?”, this is the most important thing you need to do.
Give up the shyness and embarrassment about it.
If you ask your friends and relatives what to do when you have a panic attack, they are clueless and they will often advise to relax or have a cup of tea or something else.
Over time they may get sarcastic with you and say that leave this timidity!
But panic attacks don’t get cured by tea or anything nor they have got anything to do with timidity.
People are simply not empathic towards you.
They don’t have the right knowledge about it.
This is the reason you tend to hide your problem and avoid interaction of people during the anxiety episodes.
The fear of Embarrassment and the shyness increases your anxiety considerably.
Many will show empathy and assist you to cope with your problem whenever you have panic attacks. Some will ridicule you but that is not catastrophic, you can bear it and ignore them.
4. Develop Endurance for Emotional pain in Panic Attacks
You might have experienced that during anxiety and panic you feel a little bit depressed too.
The emotional impacts of general anxiety can be very disabling if not addressed in time.
During the peak of panic attacks, you get catastrophic thoughts and feeling of worthlessness about life and your existence.
Such feelings are primarily the symptoms of depression.
Depression is not your main problem but it often accompanies anxiety in some way.
This is an emotional pain you feel during anxiety:
You feel you are helpless with your life.
You feel your life is meaningless and this world to be unreal.
You feel life is just suffering and happiness or joy is a delusion.
You feel Pain is the only thing you are going to encounter.
You imagine in your head that you will die in pain.
Emotional pain and mood swings associated with panic disorder are the two things which are not addressed properly.
They remain neglected or ignored. But, getting solutions to them is extremely important.
How to manage Emotional pain:
1.Think the Right Way
Understand with mindfulness that though these things are very uncomfortable and painful they are not dangerous and cannot cause any damage to your mind and body. Convince yourself that you can develop endurance for emotional pain and get going every time.
Do not obsess over this distress. Obsession and overthinking are likely to cause more distress.
2. Remove the sources of emotional stress from your life
Make your emotional reasoning styles more rational. Emotional stress can also be the cause of Panic Attacks. Irrational Thinking styles are the root cause of emotional instability and mental distress. Your emotional health is in your hand. You have to be the controller of your emotional brain and not let it ruin your life. Great American psychologist Dr. Albert Ellis, the originator of Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT), has devoted his life to teaching people about the emotive mind and how it controls your health & destiny.
3. Practice distraction techniques.
- Try to distract yourself with other things happening around you promptly when you think you are feeling blue.
- Try to engage yourself in some activity that you like for example, listen to happy music, watch funny videos, or read your favorite book or call a friend etc.
5. Keep moving ahead with life. Don’t stop!
In order to recover from this problem make it a part of your life. Know that it is just a discomfort you feel once in a while and it is not dangerous. There are some reasons because of which you have fallen into this kind of problem but don’t make it very awful, don’t over exaggerate by saying “I’m in a black hole” or things like that. Scientists and doctors all over the world have given answers to the question of what to do when you have a panic attack.There are very good therapies available today to get over anxiety and panic attacks.
Remember, when you ask in extreme distress what to do when you have anxiety and panic attacks, take some time to think whether this very question is not causing you anxiety. Because I found that the dire need to get rid of anxiety fueled anxiety every once in a while……….